ABOUT THE TIGER BRANDS FOUNDATION
The Tiger Brands Foundation was established for broad based community impact, and will be for the benefit of non-fee paying schools, vulnerable groups in society as well as projects that promote sustainable livelihoods in the areas in which such non-fee paying schools exist.
To achieve this vision, the Foundation established an in-school breakfast feeding programme to complement the lunch provided by the Department of Basic Education – National Schools Nutrition Programme (NSNP). We work closely with the NSNP team in the selection of schools with strict criteria applied to each school prior to the in-school programme being implemented.
The Foundation also plays a strategic, co-ordination and delivery role in partnership with a number of stakeholders including but not limited to;
- Department of Basic Education at a national, provincial and local level,
- Departments of Agriculture, Social Development and Health,
- Academic and research institutions,
- Beneficiary schools, parents and community leaders,
- Community-based agencies (delivery partners),
- Funders/donors wishing to invest in food security,
- Tiger Brands, the public and last but not least, the shareholders.
Tiger Brands allocates 5% (five per cent) of its dividends to the Foundation.
- Working with partners to deliver and implement an in-school breakfast meal to learners, teachers and support staff which would serve as a complementary meal offering to the already existing National School Nutrition Programme.
- Food sourcing will focus on working with local producers and investing in land/equipment for farmers to supplement the nutrition programmes with fresh produce, thereby generating a form of livelihood (not the initial area of focus for the Foundation.
Economic and Nutrition Literacy
- Investing in and working collaboratively with partners who will develop and deliver economic and nutrition specific content that will be used to educate, skill and empower the targeted beneficiaries (learners, parents, communities, schools’ leadership teams, child-headed households)
- Working with selected partners to deliver programmes that build and support school leadership to improve their professionalism, teaching abilities, and management of school resources, finances and government subsidies
- Working with partners to facilitate synergies between ongoing community development and selected programmes at beneficiary schools
- Tiger Brands Foundation sustains the strategic objectives as detailed in the Trust Deed. The Foundation will facilitate implementation with their partners to deliver the services and to leverage off those existing infrastructure and relationships to bring about an effective implementation of the programmes across schools throughout South Africa.